I think many people are know little bit about custom domain and their advantages over free sub-domain. As sub-domain is safe and not required to change until you are serious about blogging. If you plan to get profit from blog and increasing traffic lot you must buy custom domain. Custom domain name is important factor for getting more traffic and branding your blog over web. Here you can get information about custom domain name in details.
When we start blogging we all get free domain name. We don’t need to pay single cent for running our domain name for lifetime. It gives this free domain name with their own sub-domain like .blogspot.com or .wordpress.com etc. Then domain name look like site name www.yoursitename.blogspot.com or http://www.yoursitename.wordpress.com etc.
What is custom domain name means?
Custom domain name is domain name having TLD (Top Level Domain) like .com, .co, .me etc. Then your site custom domain name would be http://www.yoursitename.com, http://www.yoursitename.net , http://www.yoursitename.me etc. You need to pay monthly or yearly some amount to Registrars of your domain name. That amount is different among each registrar.
Important aspect you may need to know:
Domain name: Domain name is address for your website that is hosted somewhere. Domain name is like alternative name for IP address which are addressing to your blog or website. When user enter Domain name or IP address of your website on internet browsers they can access to your website pages.
TLD: The TLD(Top Level Domain) is the last part of the domain name such as .com, .co, .me etc.
The Registrars: The Registrars are the company which will provide you domain name. You can buy domain name from various registrars as depends on your choice and need. example: godaddy, wordpress, networksolutions are registrars.
The Registrant: The Registrant is a person(you) who register a domain name from registrars.
ICANN: The ICANN(Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is organization that responsible for managing domain names and acts like a regulatory body.
Why we need to Buy custom domain name?
- For increasing search engine page rank: It is very true that ranking for sub-domain by Google and other search engines is very low as compare to custom domains. Google and other search engine sites more like custom domain to feed to their visitors. Getting rank by sub-domain in Google is more difficult and some time it become impossible for us. Ranking for sub-domain are increasing with very very slow rate compare to custom domain names sites. To get traffic by search engine and getting large new visitors for your website daily you need to buy custom domain name.
- Getting more Backlinks: As many times when we create Backlinks for our blog then website or blog owner don’t accept they think that it will possible that this link is dead in future and getting bad rank by google for own site or blog. Custom domain name gives trust to other site owner that you are serious about blogging and your link not dead in future.
- For branding your site: For Branding your blog or your products over internet you must buy custom domain name for your website. It will give value to your site.
- For increasing trust: People are now not more trusting own sub-domain names. They think that this is free domain address and it can be created by anyone and can be deleted any time. They don’t trust such sites having sub-domain names. When you increase trust in peoples then more fans and subscribers are added to your blog, more your posts are shared and bookmarked. It will also increase traffic from social networking sites. Peoples are come back for getting updates on your blogs.
- For Easy to remember URL: Custom domain name is easy to remember than lengthy sub-domain name. Visitors can easy to remember short domain name and more chances of getting back to your blog. This will increase your blog traffic and user engagement. As it will increase Page ranking and alexa ranking.
- For ranking high by alexa: Alexa ranking will increase if more views are getting to your blog site. Because of custom domain as easy to remember getting more views to your website is possible. It is indirectly increasing your alexa ranking for your blog. This alexa rank growth you can show to your blog visitors that they more trust your blog and more come back to your blog.
- To be accepted by publisher network: Many publisher networks like chitika, Google Adsense most likely don’t accept sub-domain names. It will loose your earning revenue for your blog. Buying custom domain name will increase chances of getting approved by Google Adsense and other popular publisher networks.
- Personalized Email: You can personalize your email id. You can create your own email id unlike .gmail.com and .yahoo.com. You can choose email id of your blog site. For example: email@example.com
- It cost less: For Blogger Buying new domain cost about 10$ per year as it is very less compare to buy hosting and domain name for new website. If you are using wordpress for blogging then purchase it from wordpress as only cost you 5$ for purchasing domain. 13$ charge is additional for mapping domain as both for purchased domain from wordpress or from other registrar.
- More chances of getting unavailable: If you have not purchased custom domain name early then more chances of getting bid by someone else. After that you can get lot of trouble to get own custom domain name.
Check my upcoming post for knowing ‘what to do for not losing your SEO and traffic after changing custom domain name.’
Which domain suitable for your blog or website?
Buying perfect domain name for our blog is very important for all. Below i have listed domain name with its meaning. By reading you can decide which domain name is perfect for your blog.
I personally recommend that to choose .com TLD for your blog. As it is more popular and people are more likely to visit on this domain. If this domain name is already purchased by someone else then you can choose TLD from below list by considering your need and blog content.
1. The most popular domain extension in the world.
2. It will more likely to be visited by many persons.
3. It may be registered by any person.
1. It is new domain.
2. It is simple to remember
1. This domain name is associated with informative websites.
2. It can be used for businesses, organization and individuals
1. It is an option when your .com is not available to purchase. 2. It is often use for internet infrastructure and related services.
.org popular choice for non-commercial organizations & also used by charitable trusts.
.me 1.It’s the domain that’s all about you, your product, your world. 2. It is good for personal Blogging sites created.
.mob create your mobile site instantly with the free instant mobilizer included with every .mobi domain name.
creates an Indian identity on the internet
creates an american identity on the internet
1. made for business or commercial use
2. perfect for eCommerce site
official top level domain for Canada.
1.a popular domain for multimedia website.
2.good for launching your own tv channel on website
1.easy to remember
2.open for registration by anyone
Tips to be remember:
1. Purchase and mapping your custom domain early:
Try to purchase your own custom domain name as early as possible for saving your time for rearranging all social sites, feed burner and important Backlinks source with new URL. As more your late for purchasing custom domain more likely to increase time consuming for maintain SEO after buying custom domain.
2. Use similar domain name for your blog:
You can find similar domain name for your blog. Means as for this blog domain name should be buyviewers.me or buyviewer.com etc. It can not be tricks.com or something else. As it will change meaning of our blog.
3. Choose perfect custom domain TLD( Top Level Domain):
choose perfect custom domain TLD that is more likely describing your blog content to visitors. They make sense to visitors that what they will find in this website. For example for eCommerce site .org extension is wrong choice because it is used for non- profit organization. You can try for .biz or .com TLD.
4. Keep Safe from Domain name expiration:
You can choose auto renew option for paying your next domain name year rent directly for your balance to keep safe your domain name. If this facility is not provided by registrar then you can manually pay your fee on time and don’t loose your domain name.
5. Update your custom link all over:
You can update your custom domain name link all over like feed burner, social networking sites, google analytic, pinterest, yahoo etc. Update links and make sure that changing link doesn’t affect badly to your blog. You can check upcoming post for getting help for this point.
- Registering Your Domain Name on the Web (internet.answers.com)
- Mindblowing 15 Free domains for Your Blog (dhavalthakur.com)
- .ME Announces Release of Five Premium Domain Names (prweb.com)